Winter weather is in full swing, which means ice is starting to line the sidewalks. With the ice and snow comes beautiful scenery, holiday spirit and a higher risk of ice-related injuries. Here are a few common injuries caused by slipping in icy conditions:
- Back, neck and shoulder injuries
- Dislocations of joints
- Muscle strains
- Severe cuts and bruises
Preventing slips, trips and falls in the snow is possible by following these safety tips:
- Allow more time for travel, both when walking and driving
- If you must walk on the ice, bend your knees slightly and take shorter steps.
- If you are falling, do not put all the pressure on your wrists to break your fall. Putting too much pressure on your wrists can result in wrist breaks and fractures.
- Use ice grippers, such as spikes.
- Try on footwear before purchasing to ensure the shoes have good traction.
- Avoid carrying heavy loads when walking on ice.
Treating Winter Weather Injury
The board-certified orthopaedic physicians at OSS Health provide treatment to patients suffering from winter weather injuries. Some of our orthopaedic services include:
- Orthopaedic Urgent Care in York and Mechanicsburg – 7 days a week for injuries to bones, muscles and joints – No appointment necessary. Just come in!
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- Diagnostic Imaging
Call 717-848-4800 to schedule an appointment.