Preparing For Orthopaedic Surgery
Preparing For Surgery
We want you to know what to expect before, during and after your surgical experience at OSS Orthopaedic Hospital.
Your Surgical Team
The OSS Orthopaedic Hospital uses a team approach to your care. We strive to exceed your expectations and provide you with the very best care. If you are having surgery, your treatment team consists of:
- Orthopaedic Surgeon
- Discharge Planner
- Nursing Assistant
- Physical and/or Occupational Therapist
Before total joint replacement or spine surgery, we require our patients to attend total joint class if you are having a knee, hip or shoulder replacement and our spine class if you are having spine surgery. These educational classes are offered by members of the OSS Health clinical team who work with the physicians on a daily basis performing these surgeries.
About our educational classes
- These classes are designed specifically for people that are scheduled to have a hip or knee replacement, or spine surgery.
- The purpose of the class is to educate you on what to expect leading up to your surgery as well as during your stay at the hospital. It will also help prepare you for a safe return home following surgery.
- We encourage you to bring the person who will be your caregiver (family member, significant other, or friend) so that they, too, will know what to expect and how they can help.
- Please use this time to ask questions of the clinical teams so that we can help you feel as comfortable as possible with your surgical process.
Ask your physician’s clinical team to help schedule you for your joint or spine class.
The guidelines below will help you get ready for your surgery. Please feel free to ask the clinical staff any questions regarding the items below. Our goal is to provide you with the best clinical outcome by preparing you for your surgery. We want you to recover and get back to doing the things you enjoy as quickly as possible.
- Please notify your surgeon if any changes occur to your health status or medications during your medical history.
- Stop all herbal products two weeks prior to your surgery.
- Be sure to discuss all of your medications with the prescribing physician to determine how they should be handled during your surgical period.
- Participate in a daily exercise program to prepare you for your procedure and to help with recovery.
- NEW! Effective immediately, drink 12-16 ounces of Gatorade or an equivalent (clear and NOT RED) sports drink. You must be finished 2 hours prior to your surgery time AND must be finished prior to leaving your home to arrive for surgery.
- Shower with antibacterial soap the evening and morning prior to your surgery. Do not shave your legs or use spray lotion or powder on your legs.
- Select a coach, or a person who lives with you or that you anticipate will visit you each day during your hospital stay. This person will attend therapy with you in our gym and learn your exercises and precautions.
- Leave all of your jewelry and valuables at home and bring your photo identification and insurance card with you
The First Step.
From diagnosis and treatment to recovery and rehabilitation, OSS Health was founded on the beliefs that we can build a better healthcare experience. The goal of our highly trained physicians and staff is to get our patients back to an active, healthy lifestyle.