What is Shoulder Arthroscopy?
Shoulder Arthroscopy is a commonly performed minimally invasive procedure that treats many shoulder injuries. Modern surgical techniques and equipment allow the Board Certified Orthopaedic Surgeons at OSS Health to perform shoulder surgeries that were once open procedures now through small incisions.
Small cameras and surgical instruments are placed within the shoulder so that your surgeon can repair damaged tendons or bones through tiny incisions. Procedures are performed on an outpatient basis so that you can return home the same day as your procedure.
Arthroscopic shoulder surgery treats the following injuries when they are severe in nature and cannot be improved with nonsurgical treatment options:
- Bone spur removal. Osteoarthritis causes bone and cartilage inflammation that leads to the development of painful bone spurs.
- Labrum Tear. The glenoid labrum that holds the shoulder in its socket tears and the shoulder partially or completely dislocates.
- Rotator Cuff Tear. The rotator cuff tendons that stabilize the shoulder and help it move are partially or completely torn.
How is Shoulder Arthroscopy Performed at OSS Health?
Your specific injury and lifestyle will determine the surgical approach.
Generally, a procedure will be performed as follows:
- Tiny incisions are made and an arthroscopic camera is passed through one of them
- The surgeon views the shoulder from a nearby television monitor in the operating room
Once the camera is inserted and the shoulder is viewed, your OSS Health surgeon can repair damaged tendons, remove bone spurs as well as trim cartilage that is causing pain using small instruments that can be passed through the incision.
Physical Therapy is an important part of recovery after Arthroscopic Shoulder Surgery and usually begins in the days following your procedure.
Disclaimer: If this is a medical emergency, please dial 911 or report to your nearest emergency room.
All data submitted is protected and secured using the highest standards required under HIPAA.
A Phone Call Away.
If you or someone you love is suffering from an orthopaedic, spine or sports injury - trust the awarded team at OSS Health. Contact us today so that we can find the right OSS Health specialist for you and get you back to an active and healthy life. We offer the latest non-surgical and surgical treatment options and believe that you should Never Let Pain Steal Your Passion!
Please be advised that by filling out this form it is not an appointment request for a specific provider, rather a general appointment request inquiry. You will be asked which provider you'd like to see upon your callback.