- For Patients
- Find A Provider
- What Hurts?
- Ambulatory Surgical Center
Female Athlete Program
- Sports Medicine Skin Clinic
- Orthopaedic Rehabilitation
- Orthopaedic Urgent Care
- Orthotics and Durable Medical Equipment (DME)
- OSS Health Orthopaedic Hospital
- Primary Care
- Robotic Assisted Surgery
- Sports Medicine
- Workers’ Comp
- About Us
Minimally Invasive Spinal Fusion
Back & Neck Pain Treatments
What is Minimally Invasive Spinal Fusion?
Open incision spinal fusion procedures have been performed for many years, however recent advancements in spine surgery at OSS Health have allowed our Board Certified Spine Surgeons to perform spinal fusion procedures in a minimally invasive manner. With this technique, a smaller incision is used, less surgical trauma is caused and recovery is much quicker.
Minimally Invasive Spinal Fusion procedures are used to treat damaged intervertebral discs and/or compressed spinal nerve roots that cause back and neck pain that may radiate into the extremities.
These conditions can include:
Degenerative Disc Disease
At OSS Health, our Board Certified Spine Surgeons have helped thousands of patients return to an active and healthy lifestyle after a Minimally Invasive Spinal Fusion.
How is a Minimally Invasive Spinal Fusion Performed at OSS Health?
At OSS Health, a Minimally Invasive Spinal Fusion can be performed either as an outpatient or an inpatient procedure based on what you and your OSS Health surgeon feel is best for you. Our Spine Surgeons use the latest advancements in fluoroscopic guidance and spinal implants to ensure the best possible outcomes.
During a Minimally Invasive Spinal Fusion procedure the following steps are performed:
- Disc removal. The damaged or herniated intervertebral disc is removed.
- Disc space filling. A bone graft filled implant is carefully placed between adjacent vertebrae.
- Implant fixation. Rods or plates and screws fixate adjacent vertebrae so that they may fuse to form a single solid bone.
Depending upon your unique condition there are several types of Minimally Invasive Spinal Fusion approaches:
- Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion (ALIF)
- Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion (PLIF)
- Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion (TLIF)
- Lateral Lumbar Interbody Fusion (XLIF)
Your specific surgical approach will be discussed with you by your OSS Health Spine Surgeon.