- For Patients
- Find A Provider
- What Hurts?
- Ambulatory Surgical Center
Female Athlete Program
- Sports Medicine Skin Clinic
- Orthopaedic Rehabilitation
- Orthopaedic Urgent Care
- Orthotics and Durable Medical Equipment (DME)
- OSS Health Orthopaedic Hospital
- Primary Care
- Robotic Assisted Surgery
- Sports Medicine
- Workers’ Comp
- About Us
Spinal Cord Stimulation
What is Spinal Cord Stimulation?
A Spinal Cord Stimulator is an implantable pain relief device used for chronic neck or back pain as well as other neurological conditions that can cause chronic pain. The device works by sending electrical impulses to the spinal cord that block nerve pain signals to the brain. The blocking of these pain signals from the brain is what results in the relief from pain. This procedure has been researched to be safe and effective in treating chronic pain.
How is Spinal Cord Stimulation Performed at OSS Health?
At OSS Health, the Spinal Cord Stimulator procedure consists of two parts:
- The trial. An electrode is placed in the epidural space of the spine and impulses are sent while you provided pain relief feedback to determine if the electrode is in a perfect position. Once the electrode is in place, you are able to return home the same day as your procedure. Your OSS Health Spine Specialist will ask you to monitor your pain levels for approximately one week. If your pain levels remain consistent over that time, your OSS Health Spine Specialist may recommend that you undergo the second part of the procedure.
- Spinal cord stimulator implant. This procedure is also performed on an outpatient basis. Two very tiny incisions are made on the lower back. Electrode wires are guided into the epidural space and perfectly placed. A small incision is made on the waistline and the stimulator is placed in a small pocket of skin.
The Board Certified Spine Specialists at OSS Health are experts in Spinal Cord Stimulation procedures and have helped thousands of patients return to an active and healthy lifestyle following these procedures.